Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

The Lost Girl
The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
Eva’s life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination—an echo. Made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, she is expected to replace a girl named Amarra, her “other”, if she ever died. Eva studies what Amarra does, what she eats, what it’s like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready.
But fifteen years of studying never prepared her for this.
Now she must abandon everything she’s ever known—the guardians who raised her, the boy she’s forbidden to love—to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive.
What Eva finds is a grief-stricken family; parents unsure how to handle this echo they thought they wanted; and Ray, who knew every detail, every contour of Amarra. And when Eva is unexpectedly dealt a fatal blow that will change her existence forever, she is forced to choose: Stay and live out her years as a copy or leave and risk it all for the freedom to be an original. To be Eva.
From debut novelist Sangu Mandanna comes the dazzling story of a girl who was always told what she had to be—until she found the strength to decide for herself.
Releases in US: Aug 28th 2012
Source: author/Harper Collins Balzer Bray for honest review

Blkosiner's Book Blog review
    I immediately liked Eva, Amarra's echo. She has a passion and a fire in her that I really admire. I'm drawn into this paranormal dystopia and fascinated by the world that Sangu Mandanna has created. I totally understood and connected with the questions that Eva had about her society... Why would parents want a copy of their child? If something happened, Eva wouldn't magically be Amarra even though she knows all the details of her life and looks like her.
    The beginning drew me right in with her breaking the rules and the fear that she has to live under. But I love how it's set up with Mina Ma and Sean and all the others who protect and love her.  I feel for her when she has to go and replace Amarra.
     I really enjoyed the dynamic though between Eva and Sasha, the little sister. I love how she gets over her shyness and seems to accept Eva for who she is. I really appreciate when a family relationship or friendship is well written, and although I waver on which to classify this as, it can be both. Though it's really sad to watch Alisha, Amarra's mom when she first meets Eva, she is so convinced that Amarra's soul just moved on to Eva's body. As a mother I cannot imagine being in this situation and how she must feel. I'm sure that like her I would cling to every bit of hope that I could.
    I loved the stolen moments with Eva and Sean. The hope in their relationship was beautiful and it was so hard when it shattered, but I have every hope that they can pick up the pieces.
    The theme of price of freedom is prevalent in this book, and it is so hard to watch Eva wrestle with what she is willing to sacrifice and with what it ends up costing her in the end.
    Matthew is one of the weavers, and he is maddening. I totally could not figure him out, but I kept expecting him around every corner. He is a form of bad guy with motives that I could never really grasp, but that is the point to his character. It feels like he absolutely knows everything and does the unexpected.
    Bottom line: Great premise, awesome character I rooted for, and deep topic that made me think.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Would you want to transfer your soul to an echo (someone made as your copy) if you died to live on?
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This one looks really interesting! I especially like that Eva is so passionate and has a fire in her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks really interesting but I haven't read it yet.
    To answer your question I need to read this and find more about the whole story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one really sounds gripping and entertaining! With a scene like Amarra's mom wanting to believe that her daughter's soul has moved onto Eva's body, I think this story would make me cry... a lot.

    Your question is certainly interesting and thought-provoking, although I don't think it's fair or respectful to the echo esp. when the echo seems to be already having her own feelings, preferences and intelligence. But I guess I won't know how to properly answer your question until I've read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about the echo having thoughts and feelings, that def adds a spin to it.

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this one. I love the cover and I've heard many great things. Thanks so much for the review! I just want to read it even more now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- I've been hearing about this one around the blogosphere. It sounds interesting. I love it when books raise philosophical questions.

    I'm really curious now to figure out how this world works and if everyone has an echo. or if it's like an Adoration of Jenna Fox kind of thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone has one. It costs money, lots of it too

      Delete
  6. Brandi..i love dystopian novels and this one sounds fascinating and thought provoking. Added to my list, what an awesome review!
    I do not think I would want to transfer my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this concept is amazing. Loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so unique and completely different!
    As far as the question, I think I would leave that to those still living. If they need me *that* bad then I would be okay with that. I'm not sure what my personal preference would be though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can def understand from a parent's perspective but then you get the question of is it really your daughter when the echo has thoughts and feelings of their own

      Delete
  9. Great review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this one, because it sounds like it has an extremely intriguing premise! :)

    To answer your question, I think I'll have to read the book first, to get a better understanding of this whole transferring-your-soul thing. :P I'll definitely be checking THE LOST GIRL out!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)