Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review: Future Imperfect by K. Ryer Breese

Future Imperfect
Future Imperfect by K. Ryer Breese

Ade Patience can see the future and it's destroying his life. When the seventeen-year-old Mantlo High School student knocks himself unconscious, he can see days and decades into his own future. Ade's the best of Denver's "divination" underground and eager to join the heralded Mantlo Diviners, a group of similarly enabled teens. Yet, unlike the Diviners, Ade Patience doesn't see the future out of curiosity or good will; Ade gives himself concussions because he's addicted to the high, the Buzz, he gets when he breaks the laws of physics. And while there have been visions he's wanted to change, Ade knows the Rule: You can't change the future, no matter how hard you try.
His memory is failing, his grades are in a death spiral, and both Ade's best friend and his shrink are begging him to stop before he kills himself. Ade knows he needs to straighten-out. Luckily, the stunning Vauxhall Rodolfo has just transferred to Mantlo and, as Ade has seen her in a vision two years previously, they're going to fall in love. It's just the motivation Ade needs to kick his habit. Only things are a bit more complicated. Vauxhall has an addiction of her own, and, after a a vision in which he sees Vauxhall's close friend, Jimmy, drown while he looks on seemingly too wasted to move, Ade realizes that he must break the one rule he's been told he can't.
The pair must overcome their addictions and embrace their love for each other in order to do the impossible: change the future.
Published in US: Apr 2011
Source: Librarything Early Reviewers

My Review:

   Future Imperfect is a very unique idea told through a fresh narrator. The guy's voice was nailed in my opinion and his life was so bizarre that I just couldn't put the story down.
   Even though it's fantasy/paranormal some of the stunts were too wild and I think that he would have ended up even more beaten up (or dead) rather than just getting a concussion.
   I didn't really like the letters that were in the book, I would've appreciated it more if there were answers. I understand that it's another way to get across what he is pondering and trying to figure out.
   I never expected the ending though, it really just blew me away.
   I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've read this one.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but it certainly sounds interesting. It's always nice though to have a book with a completely unexpected ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this one up a while back because I loved the cover, but after hearing a lot of strange things about it, I bumped it down my list a bit. I still want to read it, at least to formulate my own opinion on it, but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance. Your review touches upon one of the issues that I've seen brought up over and over again, but I haven't seen much said about the ending. I usually enjoy an ending that I don't see coming, so I'm curious to see just what happens.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)